Tuesday 10 May 2011

So It Begins



So I think I’m going to start a blog. It seems like a happy medium between my inner-most drama-filled journal entries and my properly composed school essays. I used to think that only foodies, world travellers, and computer nerds blogged. Actually I think I was mostly intimidated by them. It was probably a case of judging what I didn’t understand. Anyways, really none of those categories apply to me (except maybe world traveler although my limited journeys would never make it into National Geographic) and yet I feel that blogging is something I should do, at least try. I’m not sure why, but if I were to try and answer that I think it’s because I’ve discovered that I like to process out loud (this revelation will not be so new to the people who know me) and also because I’ve realised that people who I really admire, and are frankly pretty darn cool, blog. (Not that I’m doing it just because they are…Of course not! :])

But anyways…

To share some of my inspirations... 

I’ve been following The Sartorialist blog for about three years now. He doesn’t often write too much with his street fashion photographs but when I did start reading some of his insights and musings on the deep world of fashion (wink, wink), I realised that I really like hearing what other people think about stuff, especially if it’s stuff I’m interested in. And then I ran across his (Scott Schumann who is “The Sartorialist”) girlfriend’s blog, Garance Dore (go check it out!!!) and absolutely fell in love with it! It’s simple enough, she just shares her illustrations and beautiful street fashion photos, but what really makes it so wonderful is her candid and often humorous commentary on the fashion world and life in general. She just unashamedly puts it all out there and you feel like you know her, or she’s just like one of your good friends. It made me think that sharing my thoughts for everyone to see could be fun, ramble-y or short, and best of all, real. And on the side it’s a great way to get your personal artwork out there.

P.S. It’s also terrifying.

I’m also beginning to pursue a long neglected love for illustration and painting. Perhaps it’s more a case of rediscovery. I love those moments in life when you pick something back up that adds so much to your life that you don’t know how you ever lived without it before. Dreams have to be pursued. So maybe this blog is really simply about that. Being brave enough to stick your neck out there and begin to try new things. What’s the worst that could happen? Basically, I’m just going to run with this and see where it takes me. And you are more than welcome to join me!

Oh I forgot to say that Sarah Cooke is one of my inspirations too. Without her believing in me and encouraging me to do this I probably never would have… So thanks boss.
And thank you Elise for showing me Tumblr. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment